This has everything in it on how to ask questions correctly.
In short, it can be summed down to this:
- Do your own research first.
- Include things you have tried and thought of before asking the question.
- Be explicit about what you want to achieve in the end and provide as much information as possible to help.
- Respect other people's time.
- It can be all too easy to forget your audience has no idea what you’re talking about beyond what you tell them.
- When proposing feature requests, "for me" is never a good argument for a feature request.
- If I want someone to add a feature to their software, show how it would be useful to lots of users.