Focusing on the things I need to be doing is quite hard and I am always trying to lure my monkey brain to actually listen to me and not live a life of its own.
My main goal with focusing is reaching the state of flow as soon as possible and keeping it for as long as possible throughout the day.
Things that help me
- I use Focus app to block a particular set of websites for 90 minutes (front pages of Hacker News, Reddit, ..).
- And I like to listen to some stimulating music. Lately been enjoying listening to this.
- Working outside from home and changing location often is also something helps me a lot in being productive.
- I also realised that multiple monitors is not so helpful for me after all and I am quite productive with just a macbook.
- I also try to live by my calendar. That is I try to assign blocks of time where I work on certain things and actually follow through and work during these time blocks. There is always something useful that I can be doing and I don't want to waste any mental energy choosing what to do in the moment.